Tuesday 20 September 2022

The Bear, Esher, Part 2

The Bear is just across the road from the pub we were in and is an imposing looking place situated right in the middle of town. I, being a Numpty, accidentally deleted some of my photos so I've borrowed one I found on-line (apologies to anyone who has copyright - I will remove it on request).
The Bear
    We went in through the front door and I realised we'd probably spent too much time in The Albert. The Bear was rammed. And if we thought The Albert was cliquey, this didn't look as if it was going to be any better. It was full of twenty-somethings who looked like they all worked in the city and were letting their hair down. Lots of champagne and fancy dress for some reason! I couldn't see us getting many stories out of them (and it turned out I was right).

    I'd been in touch with the manager, Chris, and told him we were coming. He'd said to make ourselves known when we arrived so, we made our way to the bar, ordered a beer, and asked the young girl there if we could speak to Chris. She said he was very busy and I explained that he was sort of expecting us so off she went. A minute later she returned with a young man who said "Can I help you"? I said "Are you Chris"? He said "No". He was Chris's assistant. I thought "this is going well". So I explained again that Chris was expecting us and we'd really like to speak to him. He said he'd go and see if he was free but that he might not have time to speak to us as he was really busy, and off he went. 

    I was seriously considering going back to The Albert.

The Bear seemed OK, but definitely a lost cause as far as local stories go. It was a drinkers pub, but not a community pub. Everyone was there with their own mates, and had no intention on mixing and a mingling. Its a Friday night pub. Plenty of hustle and bustle, decent atmosphere, just lacking in a little....spirit? I dunno, but I imagine next Friday night there'll be a whole new set of faces...

Chris Turned up, Looked like my old boss, which was a good and bad thing... (Good, as, with my old boss, We started off fine, but bad, because things with my old boss soon turned sour, hopefully, the same wont happen with Chris)

Yep Here was Chris............and he didn't have a clue who we were..........for a second or two. He asked if he could help with a bewildered look on his face until I explained who we were and why we were there. Then the penny dropped and he changed instantly! He couldn't have been more welcoming. He explained though that, as it was a Saturday night and it was a big eating place, he hadn't got a lot of time right then but, once the place had died dowm a bit (if it ever did) he'd come and have a chat. He did say that it was a nice change for people to turn up just to see the pub and not ask for anything. We'd only been there 5 minutes and I wouldn't dream of asking for free stuff! After I've spent all night and a fair bit of cash I might ask for a glass or something as a souvenir but not as soon as I walk in. Apparently some ask for freebies before they get there, cheeky feckers!!

       Anyway he asked the girl to get a couple of beers and handed them over saying to enjoy the night and he'd see us later. So, although we'd already got a pint, the barmaid turned up with two Brooklyn lagers, 5.1% and it was bloody lovely! I seem to remember we drank it all night. 

        So. we walked around the pub and had a good look but the place was absolutely packed with young people who were very loud and very boisterous. everyone seemed to be having a party. Which meant it was very awkward trying to take pictures and, sadly, in the end, we didn't get any decent ones of the inside of the building.

        There was absolutely not one seat to be had inside so we retreated to the patio, which was very large with lots of tables and chairs, but they were all occupied. We found a corner to stand in and spent the next hour and a half or so talking amongst ourselves and doing one of my favourite things, people watching. 

        Then a table became vacant and we rushed to get it at the same time as a couple made a beeline for it, and that's how we met Andy and Carol. They were a nice couple and were on their own. we thought this was the chance we were waiting for to get some local gossip about the pub!

Carol, Clint and Andy

        Wrong. They didn't live in Esher and were visiting friends or family and couldn't tell us anything about The Bear. It turned out though that Andy lived in London and one of his local watering holes is one of the pubs that we have yet to visit, The London Apprentice, Isleworth (just hope it's still open when we get to it) so, hopefully, we'll get to meet him and his good lady again.

        In all this time the beer had been flowing thick and fast and I, for one, was starting to slur my words a bit. And I'd got the munchies. I was starving. Can't remember how long it was since we'd eaten but the lack of food and the abundance of alcohol was having a very detrimental effect on my ability to think. And talk. And stand up straight. We had definitely spent too much time in the Albert.

        So, after a brief discussion we decided to get a chinese and call it a night. This was a shame because it meant that we didn't get a chance to talk to Chris, the manager. But I felt it was the right thing to do as I wasn't really capable of holding a serious conversation with anyone. I could talk bollocks, as we all can when we've had a fewl but that wasn't why we were there. I felt really bad about it afterwards, because Chris seemed genuinely interested once he realised who we were and why we were there and I hope we didn't offend him with our disappearing act, especially as he'd been so welcoming. We tried to find him to explain why we were leaving but the place was still bouncing and he was nowhere to be found. So we got our food took it back to the hotel and slept the sleep of the drunkard.

        Well, I think that's enough for now. As I said, sorry it's all me but if my son thinks I've missed something or remembered it wrong I'm sure he'll add a bit.

        More soon. Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment